Trailblazers. Leaders. Pioneers.
They are the cornerstone of the Industry.
They pave the way for the next generation, carving a path first for themselves, off the beaten track. And as they set the pace, they leave the rest behind; following in their footsteps.
Legends don’t stop to ask for directions. Legends ask, “What’s next?”
Where Do We Even Start
The 14th Metro FM Music Awards was undoubtedly by far the biggest event SABC’s commercial radio station, METRO FM, has ever held. The magnitude of the event had the entire country come to a complete halt and witness the enormous strides Metro FM and the SABC were taking to uplift and empower local musicians and entertainers.
With an unexplainable yet much-desired thirst, audiences were left questioning what could Metro FM possibly do next? How can the station possibly top such an exhilarating display of lights, entertainment and sounds all packed into the glorious iNkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Center in Durban, Kwazulu Natal?
“It’s going to be bigger than ever.”
As distinctive in its nature as the Metro FM awards are, there was a clear-cut need to go above and beyond anything anyone has ever dreamed or imagined. In the true definition of ‘Legends don’t stop, they ask what’s next?’ the 15th Metro FM Music Awards have added the following special features:
- African Category – A new category has been included this year that is aimed at extending the platform to recognize and reward talent from countries in the rest of the African continent. Metro FM will run a full listener participation/driven campaign after the launch for the public to name the category.
- Music Workshop – This will be a music workshop that is designed to assist up and coming artists hosted by SA music giants to nurture, groom and help them with ways to be sustainable in the competitive music industry.
- Comedy: The comedy element has been added into the build-up of events as a platform to showcase big names in the South African comedy.
- Music meets Fashion: This will see the collaboration between musicians and fashion designers come together in the name of music and fashion. Selected designers will be tasked with creating a concept that speaks to the awards.
- Award-Winning Prize Money: ‘Every year, Metro FM has consistently endeavored to bring about new and innovative ideas to the Awards property. This year, the winner in each category will bag a staggering R100 000.00
The 15th Metro FM Awards nominees list reads like an avid music connoisseur’s ultimate dream. A dream in which one city takes centre-stage and artists can be made legends overnight.
4 particular artists exhibit all the magic it takes in order to become a legend.
Nathi Mankanyi, a local newcomer swept the nominee announcement with nominations in the Best African Pop Album (Buyelekhaya), Best RnB Single (Nomvula), Best New Artist, Best Male Album and Song of the Year (Nomvula) categories.
Metro FM personalities and producers, Sphectacula and DJ Naves received nominations in the categories of Best Group/Duo Album (KOTW), Best Collaboration (KOTW), Best New Artist, Best Music Video (KOTW Anthem) and Song of the Year for their Kings Of The Weekend Anthem featuring Professor.
Another newcomer and hip-hop artist, Emtee scooped up four nominations in the Best Remix category as well as Best Music Video, Best Hip Hop Album and Best New Artist.
Prince Kaybee, real name is Kabelo Motsamai, received nominations for Best New Artist, Best Dance Album, Best Male Album and Song of the Year.
Follow our dedicated Metro FM Awards page as we’ll be bringing you all the latest and hottest content on the road to the 15th Metro FM Awards.
The main event will take place on Saturday, the 28th of February 2015 at the Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre in Durban. These Awards promise to be bigger & better than 2014, with epic entertainment of international stature that the industry is yet to see amidst much camaraderie, speculation, and excitement! Tickets to this most anticipated Music Awards Ceremony will be on sale at Computicket nationwide at the beginning of February 2015.